Sunday 24 May 2015

Optimism is trust that things will get better no matter how bad they seem

I have joined a golf club again after four years of “retirement”. 
At 89 that is optimism and worthy of an entry in the Guinness Book of Records.

Extract from Mail Online 24 May.
Golfer ordered to pay £10,000 compensation after his terrible slice struck another player on the head.
The court heard that a study had shown that 92 per cent of golf shots fell within a 30 degree cone of the intended line but the shot played by Mr Muir fell into the eight per cent outside that group.

I had a golf lesson yesterday.
“A golf lesson?” queried my daughter in disbelief. Then, she hadn't read about Mr. Muir!

Steve Thorne, Senior Golf Professional at Canford Magna Golf Club greeted me as though I was an eighteen year old seeking help for a minor fault, not an 89 year old seeking extra length! 
Half an hour later I was hitting the ball better than for many, many years.

I went off to hit a few balls and met this young lad on the practice ground. 
"Want a play a few holes", I asked.
"Sure!" Nice fellow; an Irishman by the sound of him.
"Are you a member?"

"No"! he grimaced. Been up to Wentworth and missed out on a weekend with the boys. As I was passing I thought I'd drop in and hit a few balls".
And so off we went. He seemed impressed with the results of my lesson.
Nice mannered lad.

"That was awesome" he exclaimed.


"If you have the time, half an hour with Steve Thorne will probably get rid of your problems".

Well! you have to be kind to a golfer who is having trouble with his game!

No comments:

Post a Comment