Saturday 16 December 2017

Telling the tale!

Sitting here reminiscing and sending off bits and pieces to my few readers is quite rewarding when replies come back. 

Ruth, we were Northamptonshire neighbours in Welton, invariably replies. She wrote: 

 "I was  born in 1940 during an all clear signal after an air raid, we lived half a mile from Croydon Airport.    I also had a car but mine was red and made of tin. My brother was serving in the Navy, he was a signalman, he is now 90. I was evacuated aged 3 to Kilsby."

I am sure I would be wrong to read into that Ruth that your imminent birth forced the German aircraft to flee back from whence thay came!

Evacuees were commonplace in Welton and district many a while back. 
I wrote this years ago about Mill our village newsagent;.

 "She pushes a battered pram round the village delivering newspapers. Often there is a passenger - her old grey-whiskered black labrador too tired to walk far. 
  'You'd think this village was deserted' she greets; 'not a soul to be seen anywhere', which belies the fact that I rarely see her around the village unless she's talking to someone! But then, newspaper news is yesterday's news, village news is not, it's what you hear now!
Mill, once a wartime evacuee now a widow, is 5'6" and bowed under the weight of Sunday supplements and a traction system that went out with fifties. It's a vehicle that wouldn't pass the Ministry of Transport roadworthy test; but then, neither would the Ministry of Transport probably.
I called to see her on the 3rd September, the anniversary of the day war broke out in 1939.
'I remember it well' she said, "I was sat on a bus, a label with my name on it round my neck with a gas mask, carrying egg sandwiches, heading from London to an unknown destination that transpired to be Daventry."
Can you imagine today, putting your child onto a train or bus that is going to somewhere you have never heard of, believing you are probably going to be killed and hoping they will be safe even thought you may never see them again.


My friend John (an important one of many Johns I have accumulated over the years) commented:

"Is that you or the fragrant Lesley Hollins driving the plywood Bugatti - perhaps on second thoughts it is the latter as I can see trusses of curls appearing from under the hat. I can't imagine you with curls - ever - but then I could be wrong !"

I can only attach one the first pictures ever taken of me - with curls - just a few. 

John, you would probably be more interested in this picture of me tied to the window in Ceeley Road.
I was a noted wanderer even in those days.


"Very good Grandad. I've only just now caught up with the 'Happy Christmas' entry from the 11th December which was nice to read as I realise I am the subject (of the beginning at least!)."
This is from Jack of whom I have a wealth of tales to tell. Watch this space Jack!

Hope you find this of interest Bridget, who kindly wrote:
"Always love your blogs. Keep writing please."

No comments:

Post a Comment